9 Favorite Picture Books
- The Empty Pot: I don’t want to give too much away with the story, but if you want a story about honesty, this is a must read. Ping is a good example to us all.
- Spoon: This entertaining tale gives you a glimpse into the life of a spoon who wants to be anything but. The ending is perfect.
- Giraffe’s Can’t Dance: Gerald is down about his dancing skills. This rhyming story is full of great imagery and is a story of triumph.
- Fanny’s Dream: This “keeping it real” story takes you through the life of Fanny who, as a little girl, dreamed of her own fairy godmother and her own prince charming. Her life took her in another direction that was perfect for her. This story is a refreshing contrast to the prince and princess stories, but still, there is a happily ever after.
- A Porcupine Named Fluffy: If you want a story to illustrate irony, friendship and make you chuckle, this one is for you.
- Sylvester and the Magic Pebble: Sylvester Duncan is a friendly donkey that comes upon a magic wishing pebble. Things go awry, but the heart warming ending is enough to keep reading it over and over.
- The Quiltmaker’s Gift: If you’re in the mood for a change of heart story, this one is for you. There is a greedy king in search of anything that will make him happy and the Quiltmaker who spends her days making quilts only to give them away. Their lives intersect in a beautiful way that reminds us it is truly better to give than to receive.
- Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters: This is the tale of two sisters whose hearts couldn’t be more different. The Cinderella-like ending will win you over.
- Rapunzel & Rumpelstiltskin by Paul O. Zelinsky: I know there are several versions of these fairy tales out there, but you will not be disappointed by Zelinsky’s versions. The illustrations and text are amazing.
What are some of your favorite picture books? Happy Reading!